- Name: Walter Beasley
- Web site: www.walterbeasley.com
- Born and raised in El Centro, California
- Currently resides in Boston, Massachusetts
- Education: Berklee College of Music in Boston
- Occupation: Recording artist, performer, full professor at Berklee College of Music, performance consultant, and music entrepreneur (founder and CEO of Affable Publishing and Affable Records)
- Principal Instruments: Soprano/Alto Saxophone, Voice
- Performance genres: R&B instrumental, vocal jazz, contemporary jazz
- Musical Influences: Grover Washington, Jr., Roberta Flack, Donny Hathaway, Cannonball Adderley, Johnny Hodges, Sonny Stitt, Dexter Gordon, Peabo Bryson, David Sanborn, Michael Ruff
Points of note:
- As a saxophonist and singer, he is unique in recording industry, and as such his sales and airplay are unmatched.
- Also the best-selling full-time college professor and recording artist
- Since 1998, Beasley has been one of the top five best-selling African-American saxophonists in the world.
- Over the last three decades, Beasley has been a regular presence in the top 20 of Billboard's contemporary jazz charts
- His latest album, For Her, recently peaked at No. 5 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz Charts
- SESAC (performing rights organization)
- Berklee's Association of Faculty of African Descent: goal is to increase enrollment of African-American students and educators at Berklee
- Berklee Presidential Scholarship Spokesperson: awards talented students from underrepresented groups with a full scholarship and room and board.
Awards and Accolades:
- 2003 Boston Music Awards, Jazz Album of the Year (Go with the Flow)
- 2001 Boston Music Awards, Outstanding Jazz Artist
- 2001 Berklee College of Music Trustee Award for advancing the mission and values of the college
- 2001 South Middlesex Men's Club Leadership Award for community service and support of youth development in music.
- 2001 SESAC National Performing Activity Award for the song "Comin' at Cha"
- 2002 SESAC National Performing Activity Award for the song "Rendezvous"
updated: 15 years ago